The new BOCK website is live! https://www.bockbrew.com/
You’ve heard the officers mention it for months. Now the time is here. BOCK now has a new website. So what now? Get registered! About half of the members have already signed up, but we want all of our members to reap the benefits of the new site that only come for BOCK members.
How to Register:
- Go to www.bockbrew.com. Not seeing a new website? You need to refresh your browser. Here are some instructions. On a PC in most browsers you can click and hold CTRL + F5.
- Create an account here. When not logged in you will find this link under “Members”.
- Fill out your account with a photo and membership info (go to the members page, find your profile and click edit).
- Once registered your account will be flagged for approval by an officer. Once it is approved you will receive an email letting you know.
- Now you have access to member-only areas of the site such as “Topics”, where club events like barrel fills and bulk malts are discussed, and “Froth” where current and previous issues of Froth can be read over and over.
- Be on the lookout for new features coming soon!
Our big event of the year is starting to take shape!
We will be holding the 2019 Bluegrass Cup at the Four Points Sheraton on Saturday, June 8th. the registration page is now live: http://bluegrass-cup.bockbrew.com/. Registration opens on March 22nd, so set a reminder and get your beers entered. Consider signing up to judge or steward while you are registering to help make sure we have enough volunteers.
Bulk Malt Purchase
It’s time for another bulk malt purchase. Brewer Dude is once again hosting this through their online store. If you have not registered as a BOCK member on their site, you will not have access to the Bulk Malt special sale section (nor will you get that sweet 10% discount on the rest of the store); to do so, reach out to Brewer Dude support with a picture of your 2019 BOCK Membership card (or name if you don’t have your card yet so they can corroborate with the BOCK treasurer) and your Brewer Dude username.
Once flagged as an active BOCK member, log in and go to https://www.brewerdude.com/bock-ordering.html. Check the email from Ryan or Brewer Dude for more details. If you didn’t receive it, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Dates are as follows:
- March 1 – Ordering window opened
- March 29 – Ordering window closes
- April 1-5 – Window when order is delivered
BOCK Barrel Project
The 2018 Sour Barrel extraction date has been set for Sunday, March 24th. You should be in an email chain with more details, but reach out to email@example.com if you are part of this and have questions.
The 2019 Barrel Fill styles have been selected and recipes almost finalized. Both in bourbon barrels, the club will be making a Russian Imperial Stout and a Wee Heavy. If you plan on ordering your supplies from Brewer Dude, email Clay Bunn so he can organize a bulk order: firstname.lastname@example.org. Fill date has been set for April 28th at 9:00 AM at the Shive Residence. You can keep up with the conversation over at the new web site on the Topics page.
Test Batch Takeover
Blue Stallion Brewing is once again doing their Test Batch Takeover! One of the highlights of Lexington Craft Beer Week, BSB ramps up their normal Test Batch Tuesday into this epic event for those that like trying new and interesting beers. For this event, David Workman (BSB’s head brewer) works with several home brewers to help fill the taps with weird brews. If you are interested in submitting an interesting recipe for Test Batch Takeover, reach out to David Workman; but you better act quickly, as there are limited slots and scheduling this many small batches can get complicated.
BrewerDude.com’s Mash Madness
Round 3 is over!
- Belgian Golden Strong Ale: Blake Nickell beat Miller and Miracle
- Saison: Jeff Kirkner beat O’Gorman and Spicer
The Final Round has begun! Come to the May BOCK meeting on May 13th to help us judge the final match up!
- Belgian Dubbel: Blake Nickell vs. Jeff Kirkner
You can see the full bracket here.
Blue Stallion Lager Competition 2019
Get your 3 bottles in to Blue Stallion by April 15!
- The Northern Kentucky Homebrewers’ Guild’s annual competition is coming up!
- Held at Braxton Brewing in Covington on April 20th
- Entry Registration is already open, and will be accepting new entries through April 12th (if they don’t hit their entry limit by then)
- Bring your entries to Rock House between 4/1 and 4/11 and we’ll get them there
- BOCK is working on a drop off location and transportation plan
- Judges and Stewards are needed; consider helping out our fellow Kentucky Homebrewers
West Sixth Pro-Am
West Sixth’s annual brew-on-site competition is coming up on March 23rd. While sign ups closed within a few days of being open, this event is still one of the highlights of the year. Even if you aren’t brewing, come out to see what it’s all about, cheer on your fellow BOCK members and get excited about signing up next year! Good luck to all that were able to secure one of the limited slots in this coveted competition!
BOCK offered to pay for consolidated shipping for those that wanted to take advantage. Those beers went out last Friday. The club has a total of 12 entries for the first round. Good luck to all!
Blount County brew-off (TN)
Congrats to Dirk for taking home a Silver Medal for his Scottish Export last month! Thanks to Dirk for going down to the competition to help them out in person and represent our club.
Barrels for Sale
We have 2 barrels for sale from last year’s Barrel Project. One of them has been empty for several months and is probably not desirable for aging beer without conditioning. The other will be the soon-to-be emptied barrel from the 2018 Sour Barrel project and can be used for aging beer if you don’t mind them being soured.
They are currently set at $100 each, or you can make an offer for both. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com.
We’ve delayed this due to working on a new 25th BOCK Anniversary design, as well as looking into different shirts (lighter, softer blend). Also, our attention has been on getting the new web site live. Details to be announced when we have them.
Renew or Become a New BOCK Member
Here are some of the perks of being a BOCK member:
- 10% discount at Brewer Dude Homebrew Store
- Several club-only competitions (we had 5 last year)
- BJCP training available (additional cost, limited spots, occurs every other year)
- Feedback on your brews
- Members’ tasty brews
- An open and friendly community (saved the best for last)
AHA Membership Discount
Brewer Dude is now offering discounted AHA memberships. If you are interested, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lexington Craft Beer Week
The dates have been set for the Lexington Craft Beer Week! Mark your calendars off for May 10-19 so you don’t double-book yourself and check Lex Beer Scene’s LCBW page for updates and additions to the festivities.