Club Business – End of Year Elections
We will be having end-of-year elections in December for the Event Coordinator In Training, Secondary Fermenter, Scribe, one of the Director positions, and the newly created Social Media Director. Please consider serving a term. Reach out to any of the officers with any questions you have about this.
John Spicer – Terms Complete
John’s tenure as a club officer came to an end last month, but we wanted to thank him for his contributions over the years:
- 3 Bluegrass Cups (only one of which had A/C)
- Rock House Coffee Competition
- 2 Iron Mashes
- 5-6 Barrel Fills (both clean and sour projects)
- 2 BOCKtoberfest celebrations
- Mash Madness inaugural competition organization
- Scribe for 2-3 years prior to becoming Event Coordinator
- Head Steward for Bluegrass Cup several times
- More things that aren’t documented
John has given a lot of his time for the betterment of the club and we all owe him a hearty “Thank You” for the work he has put into each of his contributions.
Bulk Malt Purchase
BrewerDude is hosting our Bulk Malt Purchase again this September. Nathan will be sending out an email at the beginning of September when the ordering window opens. If you want to participate, make sure you are registered on http://www.brewerdude.com/ as a BOCK Member. If you haven’t done this yet, create your account on their site then email email@example.com with a picture of your current membership card so Nathan can flag your account as a BOCK member.
2019 BrewerDude Mash Madness
The 2019 BrewerDude Mash Madness competition is gearing up for it’s second annual showing. This bracket-style competition pits brewers against each other, single elimination style until we have a single undefeated victor! Thanks to www.brewerdude.com for sponsoring this fun competition again!
The first round of match ups will be drawn during the September meeting. If you are interested in signing up to compete, please sign up here. Note that we will be capping the number of competitors/teams at 24, so don’t procrastinate if you want in.
Note: if you’re already registered, you don’t need to fill out the registration form again.
We’re planning our annual beer celebration party (thanks for hosting again this year, Dirk!) and we need to pick a date. Please fill out this survey to let us know when you are available! The survey will close on Wednesday (8/21) at 9:00 PM so make sure you get your vote in.
Note: when I sent this survey out in the Micro Froth a few weeks ago, I had accidentally enabled a setting that required you to sign into a google account. My apologies; this has been fixed and everyone should be able to complete the survey now. If you have already completed the survey, Those results are still collected, no need to fill out a new one unless your availability has changed.
Learn to Homebrew
AHA’s Learn to Homebrew Day is November 2nd. As a 501(c)(3) Educational Non Profit, one of our missions is to educate those interested about homebrewing. We’ve aligned our Iron Mash this year to fall on the same day, so that the curious can come out and see various equipment setups and what the community is like.
Iron Mash 2019
With fall just around the corner, it’s time for the annual Iron Mash! Mark your calendars for Saturday, November 2nd from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm at Rock House Brewing. We picked this date to coincide with AHA’s Learn to Homebrew Day.
This club only competition puts your skills to the test, as you are given ingredients when you show up and have to craft a recipe and brew the beer that same day. We’re mixing it up a little this year, though. Here’s the scoop:
- Clay will have a sign up sheet at the September meeting.
- Rock House will provide a base wort (mostly 2-row mash bill) about 1.050 gravity.
- Individuals or 2-person (traditional) teams will have the option of doing a single batch (up to 7 gallons of wort) or a double batch (up to 14 gallons).
- Participants will need to purchase (price TBD) a box (or two boxes for a double batch) of “mystery” ingredients that will include steeping grains, hops, and other optional ingredients.
- You will need to provide your own yeast. We’re working with Nathan from Brewer Dude on same-day delivery, but this has not been confirmed yet.
- Wort will be provided starting at about 9:00 and mystery ingredient boxes will be handed out at about 9:30.
- Participants will have one hour from when mystery boxes are handed out to declare a style.
- Turn-in and judging is TBD but will likely be sometime early January 2020.
Sign up with Clay at the September meeting to get in on this super-fun competition.
Local Breweries Brew BOCK Beers
Joe Brewer’s Very Berry Gose, which won the West Sixth Pro-Am this year, will be tapped this Thursday, August 22, at 5:30pm. Come out and have a pint!
Darrin Green and Paul Moss have brewed their Czech Pils with Blue Stallion, which will be released Labor Day weekend! Make sure you get out there to try it!
Jeff Kirkner has met with Lexington Brewing Company to plan out their brew day for his Triple B Brown Ale. We’ll let you know more when we have additional info.
Congrats to all!
If you make beer at one of our local breweries, whether for winning a competition or just for funsies, let us know so we can announce it to the whole club!
Kentucky State Fair Competition
The Kentucky State Fair Homebrew Competition results are in and BOCK made a good showing!
- Ryan Smalley
- 3rd Place – American IPA
- 3rd Place – Strong American Ale, Double IPA
- 3rd Place – American Wild Ale, Brett Beer
- Keith Rodenhauser
- 2nd Place – Strong American Ale, Wheatwine
- 3rd Place – European Sour Ale, Flanders Red Ale
- Ryan Harding
- 2nd Place – Wood-Aged Beer
- 3rd Place – American Porter and Stout, Imperial Stout
- Ryan Naseman
- 2nd Place – Specialty IPA
- Jeff Kirkner
- 2nd Place – Amber and Brown American Ale, American Brown Ale
- Dirk Franzen
- 1st Place – Specialty Wood-Aged Beer
Congrats to all! Full results can be found here.
Stan Hieronymus Presentation
Block off Saturday, December 7th from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm to listen to Stan Hieronymus tell you everything you didn’t know you wanted to know about hops at the Rock House production building. Stan is going to do a presentation on new hop varieties and hopping techniques for the home brewer. There will be a signup sheet for this at the next meeting. We’ll let you know more details as they come in.
Home Brew Con 2020
Next year’s Home Brew Con will be in Nashville from June 18th through the 20th. We would like to have our own booth at the Club Night event, and could use some help deciding on a theme, designing and building the booth, organizing, and generally having some extra help for whatever needs to get done. If you are interested in helping, please reach out to Tony Aiken
BOCK has started an Instagram account to highlight the events that we host and/or attend. Follow our account at https://www.instagram.com/bockbrewky/
Check out https://www.bockbrew.com/ for monthly meeting information and upcoming events. Members should register to take advantage of the topics/discussions (like Barrel Program recipes), putting other members’ faces to names, past Froth issues and more.
How to Register:
- Go to www.bockbrew.com.
- Create an account here. When not logged in you will find this link under “Members”.
- Fill out your account with a photo and membership info (go to the members page, find your profile and click edit).
- Once registered your account will be flagged for approval by an officer. Once it is approved you will receive an email letting you know.
- Now you have access to member-only areas of the site such as “Topics”, where club events like barrel fills and bulk malts are discussed, and “Froth” where current and previous issues of Froth can be read over and over.
Renew or Become a New BOCK Member
Here are some of the perks of being a BOCK member:
- 10% discount at Brewer Dude Homebrew Store
- Several club-only competitions (we had 5 last year)
- BJCP training available (additional cost, limited spots, occurs every other year)
- Feedback on your brews
- Members’ tasty brews
- An open and friendly community (saved the best for last)
AHA Membership Discount
Brewer Dude is now offering discounted AHA memberships. If you are interested, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.