Club Business – End of Year Elections
We will be having end-of-year elections in December for the Event Coordinator In Training, Secondary Fermenter, Scribe, one of the Director positions, and the newly created Social Media Director. Please consider serving a term. Reach out to any of the officers with any questions you have about this.
Renew or Become a New BOCK Member
Here are some of the perks of being a BOCK member:
- 10% discount at Brewer Dude Homebrew Store
- Several club-only competitions (we had 5 last year)
- BJCP training available (additional cost, limited spots, occurs every other year)
- Feedback on your brews
- Members’ tasty brews
- An open and friendly community (saved the best for last)
Wit Elephant – December Meeting
Our annual white elephant style game will once again be held at our December meeting. Bring a wrapped beer or beer/brewing-related gift if you want to participate.
Iron Mash Turn-In Date
Iron Mash beers are due at BrewerDude by January 10th at 7:00 PM!
2019 BrewerDude Mash Madness
The first round of Mash Madness winners have been announced and the second round of beer styles have been assigned. Here is the recap:
Round 1 Results:
- Chris Barnes beat John Spicer in Double IPAs
- Ryan Harding beat Sam Franklin in American Brown Ales
- Bunn and Speer beat Brad Dallefeld in APAs
- Brandon Garrett beat Jeff Kirkner in Kentucky Commons
- Chuck Anderson beat Ryan Smalley in American Wheat Ales
- Ryan Naseman beat Gary O’Gorman in Cream Ales
- Joel Wheeler beat Sarhan and Cutler in Pre-Prohibition Porters
- Dirk Franzen beat Miracle and Miller in Blonde Ales
Round 2 Match-ups:
- Chris Barnes vs Ryan Harding with Sweet Stouts
- Bunn and Speer vs Brandon Garrett with English Strong Ales
- Chuck Anderson vs Ryan Naseman with Scottish Lights
- Joel Wheeler vs Dirk Franzen with Oatmeal Stouts
Second round beers are due at BrewerDude by January 10th at 7:00 PM!
Full bracket can be found here.
Stan Hieronymus Presentation
Block off Saturday, December 7th from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm to listen to Stan Hieronymus tell you everything you didn’t know you wanted to know about hops at the Rock House production building. Stan is going to do a presentation on new hop varieties and hopping techniques for the home brewer. This presentation is free for BOCK members. Not a member, become a member for $20 (2020 early bird registration).
Cider Making Workshop
Wise Bird Cider is holding a cider making workshop on December 14th from 1-3 pm.
Join Wise Bird’s Cider Maker and co-owner, Tim Wright, and Assistant Cider Maker, Laura Cleary, in a hands on workshop where you will start the process of making your own hard cider. Learn about juice evaluation, making additions before fermentation, yeast inoculation, monitoring and evaluation during fermentation, post-fermentation practices, and options for customizing your cider before bottling.
Tickets are $49 and includes one gallon of heirloom apple juice, carboy with bung and airlock, yeast, yeast nutrient, lab beaker, lab thermometer, and printed guide.
Tim Wright is offering BOCK members a 10% discount; the promo code will be announced at the December meeting, or you can reach out to Tim Meehan to get it.
Register for the event here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cider-making-workshop-tickets-83712878473
2019 Holiday Potluck
Nathan Hoskins and family will be hosting BOCK’s annual holiday potluck at their home in the Chilesburg area on Saturday, December 14th (5 – 10 PM). BOCK will provide the main course (fried turkey), with attendees bringing a side dish and/or dessert and beer (of course).
Please let us know how many guests and any side dishes, desserts, etc. you will be bringing by following this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l66T_T6l-7RDhkTnhHQc_q2kD3jThpxI7XuSCrubtYk/edit?usp=sharing
Families are welcome! Hope to see you there!
Home Brew Con 2020
Next year’s Home Brew Con will be in Nashville from June 18th through the 20th. We would like to have our own booth at the Club Night event, and could use some help deciding on a theme, designing and building the booth, organizing, and generally having some extra help for whatever needs to get done. If you are interested in helping, please reach out to Tony Aiken
We have some extra BOCK t-shirts available for $15. If you are interested, please reach out email@example.com. Note: The shirts run one size smaller than what’s on the tag; so if you want a Large, you would want one with an Extra Large tag.
Local Breweries Brew BOCK Beers
If you make beer at one of our local breweries, whether for winning a competition or just for funsies, let us know so we can announce it to the whole club!
BOCK has started an Instagram account to highlight the events that we host and/or attend. Follow our account at https://www.instagram.com/bockbrewky/
Check out https://www.bockbrew.com/ for monthly meeting information and upcoming events. Members should register to take advantage of the topics/discussions (like Barrel Program recipes), putting other members’ faces to names, past Froth issues and more.
How to Register:
- Go to www.bockbrew.com.
- Create an account here. When not logged in you will find this link under “Members”.
- Fill out your account with a photo and membership info (go to the members page, find your profile and click edit).
- Once registered your account will be flagged for approval by an officer. Once it is approved you will receive an email letting you know.
- Now you have access to member-only areas of the site such as “Topics”, where club events like barrel fills and bulk malts are discussed, and “Froth” where current and previous issues of Froth can be read over and over.
AHA Membership Discount
Brewer Dude is now offering discounted AHA memberships. If you are interested, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.