Our big event of the year is almost upon us!
- We will be holding the 2019 Bluegrass Cup at the Four Points Sheraton on Saturday, June 8th.
- Beer registration is now closed… but Judge/Steward registration is still open!
- We need volunteers! Sign up to judge/steward by creating or editing your account on http://bluegrass-cup.bockbrew.com/
- This event helps us to pay for the awesome club perks (and keeps membership costs low) throughout the year, so sign up to judge or steward to help make sure we have enough volunteers.
Side Note: If you win a medal, but don’t make it out to the Bluegrass Cup, we will have them at the June meeting to hand out. It would also be nice if you brought a sample of your award-winning beer for us to sample… just sayin’.
Club Business – Upcoming Elections
We have elections coming up for two positions for the BOCK Officer group. Treasurer and one of the Director positions will be available soon. If you are considering one of these positions, feel free to ask an officer about it.
The new BOCK website is live! https://www.bockbrew.com/
You’ve heard the officers mention it for months. Now the time is here. BOCK now has a new website. So what now? Get registered! About half of the members have already signed up, but we want all of our members to reap the benefits of the new site that only come for BOCK members.
How to Register:
- Go to www.bockbrew.com. Not seeing a new website? You need to refresh your browser. Here are some instructions. On a PC in most browsers you can click and hold CTRL + F5.
- Create an account here. When not logged in you will find this link under “Members”.
- Fill out your account with a photo and membership info (go to the members page, find your profile and click edit).
- Once registered your account will be flagged for approval by an officer. Once it is approved you will receive an email letting you know.
- Now you have access to member-only areas of the site such as “Topics”, where club events like barrel fills and bulk malts are discussed, and “Froth” where current and previous issues of Froth can be read over and over.
- Be on the lookout for new features coming soon!
BOCK has started an Instagram account to highlight the events that we host and/or attend. Follow our account at https://www.instagram.com/bockbrewky/
BrewerDude.com’s Mash Madness Finale
Mash Madness has a victor! Congrats to Blake Nickell for edging out Jeff Kirkner with his Belgian Dubbel in the championship round! Thanks to all of you for coming out to judge the two entries against the BJCP style guide. Thanks to everyone that participated in this new event. We’ll announce details for the 2019-2020 Mash Madness when we have them.
National Homebrew Competition: First Round
Three of our members have done well in the first round of the NHC this year:
- Ryan Smalley
- 1st Place – Specialty Beer (Spelt Saison)
- 3rd Place – American Wild (Hoppy Brett)
- Jeff Kirkner: 1st Place – American Porter & Stout
- Dirk Franzen: 3rd Place – Strong UK Ale
Congrats to the three of you!
The Northern Kentucky Homebrewers’ Guild’s annual competition was held at Braxton Brewing in Covington on April 20th. Here are the awards that our very own members won:
- Ryan Harding: 1st Place – Wood Aged Beer (Club Barleywine)
- Dirk Franzen: 1st Place – American Brown & Porters
- Gary O’ Gorman: 3rd Place – Standard American Lager
- Ryan Smalley: 3rd Place – Saisons; 2nd Alternative Fermentables
- Blake Nickell: 3rd Place – Belgian Strong Ales
Congrats to the five of you!
West Sixth Pro-Am
Congrats to Joe Brewer for taking the Gold with his Very Berry Citra Gose! Be sure to look for this on tap at West Sixth later this summer.
Blue Stallion Lager Competition 2019
Judging and announcement dates are being worked on. More details to follow.
Lexington Brewing Co. Pro-Am Brewfest
Thanks to Lexington Brewing Co (formerly Alltech Brewing) for reviving this fun brew-on-site at their Cross St location on May 18th! Brewers got their competition on in the morning, but the event transitioned into a beerfest that featured local breweries in the afternoon. What a way to cap off Lexington Craft Beer Week!
The winner will get their beer made full production scale and entered into the GABF! Turn in dates TBD.
2019 Barrels Project
The first fill date went well. An extraction date is TBD, but will be around the end of June.
The follow up fills now have assigned styles and brewers (Flanders Red and Bretted Saison). Recipe discussions are happening in the topics section of the BOCK website. Fill date TBD.
Lexington Craft Beer Week
So many things happened during the 2019 LCBW! From multiple local collaboration beers (like Country Western), beer releases (like Snake Cake and Baba Yaga), tap takeovers, and countless test batches.
One of the most popular events for the club is Blue Stallion’s Test Batch Takeover, where BOCK members can have an opportunity to see their crazy idea be tapped and sold in a real brewery. This year, several of our own members made some… interesting brews.
BOCK Tee Shirts
The BOCK Tee Shirts are in! We had to work through a size issue where the manufacturer mislabeled the shirts one size smaller than it really was… but we got it all sorted out with the print company we used. If you ordered a shirt and haven’t paid yet, please do so:
- $15 if you pay by cash or check
- $16 if you pay by PayPal (to email@example.com; please note your name and that the payment is for a shirt in the comment box)
Note: your shirt will be labeled one size larger than what it actually is (e.g. if you ordered a Medium, your shirt’s label will say Large).
Renew or Become a New BOCK Member
Here are some of the perks of being a BOCK member:
- 10% discount at Brewer Dude Homebrew Store
- Several club-only competitions (we had 5 last year)
- BJCP training available (additional cost, limited spots, occurs every other year)
- Feedback on your brews
- Members’ tasty brews
- An open and friendly community (saved the best for last)
AHA Membership Discount
Brewer Dude is now offering discounted AHA memberships. If you are interested, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.